Saturday, September 30, 2017

What Just Happened?



I think something unusual happened at the concert I attended on Thursday night...

My Sewanee friend Lyn was visiting DC and we met for some good food, culture and conversation. That included the National Symphony concert shown above, an all-American program. After a spirited national anthem ( it looked like everyone stood) a man three rows in front of us got up, pumped his fist and yelled God save Donald Trump!  Rather disconcerting, to say the least.  There were a few murmurs throughout the hall, but that was all.

John Adams' Short Ride in a Fast Machine was exciting and a great way to start off a concert. Unfortunately I found Copland's piece for organ and orchestra rather ho-hum, despite the presence of Cameron Carpenter, bad boy of the organ.  There was pleasant, respectful applause.

And then...after intermission Copland's Appalachian Spring...I have heard that piece many times and have even played the piano part, yet never has it affected me the way it did on Thursday evening. It is quintessentially an American piece-I daresay just about anyone could hear it and know that it's by an American composer.  Yes, it has Copland's signature sound, but it's more than that-hopeful, wistful, innocent, playful and just plain gorgeous.  I shut my eyes and let the sounds just roll over my entire being.

And then, at the end, a brave woman near the front stood up, quickly followed by another and another until we were all on our feet, clapping.  A standing ovation in the middle of a concert?  That's what it was, but oh, it was also so much more.

The divisiveness of our time is tearing us apart and I am yearning for peace, for beauty, for my country to heal. I am worried sick.  I know I am not alone...at the concert the Copland touched that part of our souls, reminded us of what America can be and we stood up to acknowledge that in unity.




2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your [as ever] insightful commentary on music and our status in general. Love you, Julia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm grateful for your comment.

    ReplyDelete